Easy One Ingredient Sweet Potato Dog Treats Recipe
We've got an easy, healthy, inexpensive homemade dog treat recipe made with one ingredient that will have your pup drooling with anticipation - sweet potato dog treats! 🍠🐶. Mo and Lewie both love sweet potato treats but buying these treats at the store is pricey. We looked at the ingredients on the package and saw there was only ONE ingredient - sweet potatoes. With that information, we knew we could make these treats at home easily and inexpensive.
Why are sweet potatoes a good treat for your dog?
Sweet potatoes are a healthy and organic single-ingredient treat for dogs that provide a variety of advantages for their well-being (along with a sweet flavor that most dogs love). Sweet potatoes help maintain a robust digestive system due to their dietary fiber content, are low in fat and provide crucial vitamins such as B6, C, and A.
Remember - while these treats are super healthy for dogs, they are best enjoyed in moderation.
Prep Time: 10 minutes max
Cook Time: 2.5-3 hours
Yields: Drooling and countless tail wags
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Oven (preheated to 250°F/120°C)
- A waggin' tail for quality control!
- Preheat the Oven: set to 250°F (120°C).
- Slice and Dice: Channel your inner chef! Carefully slice the sweet potatoes into thin rounds - at least an 1/8 of an inch. Anything less will result in sweet potato chips (still tasty). If you have a smaller dog, you may want to half the sweet potato to make smaller-sized treats.
- Lay 'Em Out: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper -this will keep the slices from sticking to the pan and makes cleanup a breeze. Arrange the sweet potato slices on the parchment paper, making sure they don't overlap.
- Bake: These cook low and slow. Slide the baking sheet into your preheated oven and set the timer for 2.5-3 hours. The slow bake dehydrates the sweet potato slices and turns them into sweet, crunchy treasures.
- Taste Test: At 2.5 hours, carefully take a slice out and let it cool. Give it a little taste test – if it's delightfully crunchy, you've done it! If it needs a bit more time, no worries, just pop them back in the oven for a little while longer.
- Cool and Store: Once your sweet potato slices are crispy, let them cool down completely. Once they're cooled, store them in an airtight container to keep them crunchy
And voila! There you have it - a simple, one-ingredient tasty, cheap treat that'll keep your dog happy and healthy. And, we have to say, that if you sprinkle a little salt on them, they ain’t too bad as a human snack too! Bone appetit!