There are some dogs who always seem to be hungry...and we have one! Lewie, our Labrador, is forever looking for a handout from us whenever we are in the kitchen. While it’s our job to keep him at a healthy weight (an almost impossible task as a Lab owner), we do like to reward Lew with treats from time to time. We like to give him things that will satisfy him but also keep him thin and trim.
As dogs are omnivores, they don't necessarily need fruits and vegetables in their diet, but some fruits are a healthy and tasty treat for them. Here are five safe fruits for dogs to eat, along with facts about why they are healthy:
- Watermelon: Watermelon is one of the healthiest fruits a dog can eat due to its great density in hydration and antioxidants. Watermelon is made up of 92% water, making it a great source of hydration for your dog. It is also a great source of vitamins C, A, B-6, and potassium.
- Cantaloupe: Cantaloupe is another safe fruit for dogs to eat. It is a great source of fiber and vitamin A and can even help fight infections. However, cantaloupe should be given in moderation as it is high in sugar.
- Bananas: Bananas are a great low-calorie treat for dogs. They're high in potassium, vitamins, biotin, fiber, and copper. They are low in cholesterol and sodium, but because of their high sugar content, bananas should be given as a treat, not part of your dog’s main diet.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are a good source of fiber and vitamin C for dogs. However, they can also be high in sugar, so they should be handed out sparingly to your dog.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and fiber, making them a healthy treat for your dog's bowels. Their small size makes them perfect to use for treats and rewards for your dog.
TIPS: Remember to always remove any seeds, rind, pits, or skin before feeding fruits to your dog, as they can cause intestinal blockages. Additionally, if you notice any signs of gastrointestinal upset after feeding your dog a new fruit, stop feeding it to them and call your veterinarian.